Wednesday 8 June 2011

"I Have Autism" A Child's First Look at Autism (2005)






"I Have Autism" A Child's First Look at Autism
Written by Pat Crissey
Illustrated by Noah Crissey
Ever since I started teaching 3 years ago, I have been on a search for an inclusive children's book related to autism.  As the presence of autistic students in the classroom is becoming more and more common, I want to make sure that these students feel represented in the literature that they hear and read.  I recently stumbled across a book called, "I Have Autism" A Child's First Look at Autism, written by Pat Crissey.  Judging by the title of this book, I was not sure just how inclusive this book would be as it clearly focuses on autism.  Nonetheless, I decided to use the criteria put forth by the Ontario Coalition for Inclusive Education to see how disability is portrayed and to determine whether or not this is a book that I want to introduce to my students.  

1. What is the focus of the book? 


As expected, the entire book is all about how autism affects the life of the main character, Alex.  More specifically, Alex speaks about the way in which autism controls every aspect of his life, including his behaviour.  

2. Are all of the settings in the book inclusive? 
All of the settings in the book are inclusive because Alex is not physically disabled.  

3. Are characters portrayed in valued roles - as active and contributing individuals?  
I would not consider Alex to be portrayed as an active and contributing member because the entire book describes the way in which autism affects everything he does.  Thus, he is not seen as someone with agency.

4. If labels and terminology are used, are they contemporary and empowering? 
The only disability-related term used in the book is "autistic," which is not considered to be offensive. 

After reading through this book and analyzing the text and pictures, I have come to the conclusion that "I Have Autism" A Child's First Look at Autism does not represent disability in a positive light and is thus not a very inclusive book.  Although this book was meant to help parents and teachers explain autism to young children, children may begin to have a negative perception of autism because the text gives the impression that autism takes over various aspects of one's life.  An inclusive book on autism would be one in which autism is not the focus of the book, and one in which autism is not portrayed as affecting every little bit of one's life.  I'm still searching for such a book, so if you know of one, please let me know! :) 

I also wanted to share with you all a YouTube clip that I came across that didn't really sit well with me.  It's a short clip showing a young girl with autism who talks about how a nice lady gave her the book, "I Have Autism" A Child's First Look at Autism, and it's her favourite because she is autistic.  This little girl clearly loves the book not because of it's message, but because she sees herself, or at least parts of herself, reflected in the text.  What makes this YouTube clip even more disturbing is that www.ASDlife.ca has used this little girl to help promote not only the book, but their company as well.  It may seem like I am overreacting, but if you watch the clip below, you'll know exactly what I mean!  Let me know your thoughts...

Young Girl with Autism Promoting 
"I Have Autism" A Child's First Look at Autism
  
  

No comments:

Post a Comment